Appreciate it!! Part 2

Scene 5
Day 2 11:15am

I returned to my desk and to my surprise saw 3 new chat windows with all of them pointing to the same issue. I acknowledged the 3 them and now had to start working on this new Gereprine ticket. As I was analyzing the contents of the ticket, Rajinder called back and he confirmed my thoughts that this was a new issue which we have not faced earlier. We both discussed and negated some of the common scenarios but still were not able to get a break through. I needed some time to work on the issue and hence ended the call with Rajinder promising him that I will let him know the details once I resolve the issue. Just as I started digging into the details, I was disturbed by another call - this time from the business user and she wanted to know what the issue was and why it happened. I had to explain her that I was just starting to look into the issue and will let her know as soon as I have an update. Meanwhile another 5 mails from some of my known customers came in saying that they are facing the same issue. This was getting insane because since the issue was reported I have been working on telling everybody that I know the issue and I am working on it rather than actually working on it. I was going through the log files to see if I could get some pointers when there was another phone call from unknown number. I thought Rajinder had found something and quickly picked the phone only to hear the deadly voice of Offshore manager Manas and he wanted to know why I had not filled my time-sheet for the last week. Though I was trying to tell him that I had already submitted the same, he was just going on rattling out the importance of time-sheet, something about the quality and quantity of the data, something about billing, blah blah...it went for the next 5 minutes. I had to literally shout back - "Manas I have already submitted the the time sheet for last week. If you still have any issues I will call you back in 20-30 minutes as I have a production issue". Somehow the word "production issue" cooled him down and he agreed to check at his end. Now as I was looking through the log files, I saw that the users were not able to connect to the database and when I checked with the DBA he confirmed that there was no issues with the database and everything seems to be fine. The only other thing I could think of was that probably the web server was not talking to the Database server, but on checking with concerned team they too gave a green light saying that there are no issues. I was kind of running out of ideas and decided to check with Linda if she would have some idea about the issue. After all I just had to waste time and then have Linda take a look as usual....or is it something unusual this time.

Scene 6
Day 2 12:00pm
Linda welcomed me to her cube with a cunning smile and as I sat down in her cube she started off with her theories on how you get to know the system only with time and that she has been working on the system for the past 5 years and knows the system in and out. This has happened many a times and I never understood whether she says this with genuine intentions or is it just to make me feel that I could not even solve this problem on my own. Anyways my main aim was to solve the issue and so just watched the steps she was following ignoring her theories. Most of the steps were the same Rajinder and myself had gone through and I was able to give her the results for them just to let her know that I too did the same analysis. After some 20 minutes Linda declared - this is something we will have to discuss with the vendor so lets call Perry and check with her. This meant another 20 minutes of call and going through the same steps again, however deep inside I was happy as at least this was something new and not some silly issue which Linda would have resolved in few minutes and once again bragged about I know the system...blah blah blah.Perry too could not find anything wrong and wanted some more time to check through her notes.

Scene 9
Day 2 4:00pm
"Yes the issue has been resolved at my end" - were the Golden words from the customer and with this I was able to close the Gereprine ticket and at last sent out a mail to all the users confirming that the issue has been resolved and they should be able to work in the application without any issues. I had resolved the issue for which Linda and Perry spent 3 hours in research and were not able to find anything. I had become a hero and then started the flow of Appreciation mails from all the Managers involved. Linda too was kind of impressed that I was able to solve the issue however I could see the question in her eyes - "How did he do that?".

Scene 10
Day 2 11:0pm

The appreciation mails had reached Manas and he looped in the whole of Offshore to let them all know my good work. I was reading through all the mails back at my home when Bajrang got back from his movie. He noticed the smile on my face and wanted to know what it was all about. I showed him the mails and he was surprised that to see so many appreciation mails. He started congratulating me and was really happy to see them. He wanted to know the complete story and when I explained to him the whole act he was shocked and surprised by the turn of events. Then all of a sudden he started laughing loudly and I joined him now with my own cunning smile.

No comments: